Blogtastic

Sunday, October 23, 2005



It was another falltastic weekend.

The boyfriend and I went to the Circleville Pumpkin extravaganza on Saturday. While the picture does not reflect this, it could. Pumpkin. Boyfriend. I'd say it's a decent summary.

I've never been to the Pumpkin Festival, but I've heard many a tale.

"Pumpkins the size of...boulders!"

"Pumpkin everything!"

What people have always failed to mention is the complete insanity of it all. We were feeling lost in that crowd and eventually everything started looking the same. When the pig-calling contest began, we were finished.

"What street is this?" We'd ask ourselves, looking for a way out, but knowing it didn't matter anyway.

Regardless, we had a good time. The sun came out for a while and I can always appreciate going outside the city limits to a town that reminds me of home. I do think, however, that I'm going to stay away from pumpkin pizza...for the rest of my life.

We were total Pumpkin Fest virgins. We got too excited by the mediocre pumpkin offerings in the beginning and blew our appetites before we could get to what we really wanted, which for me was pumpkin ice cream. I can't believe I blew it on pumpkin cheesecake instead. A disappointment, for sure, but I've learned my lesson.

"I don't think I've ever celebrated autumn this much," I said to him, standing against a wall in an alley. We'd stopped to smoke cigarettes and drink hot cider.

He agreed and I thought about it a little more.

Autumn has always been my favorite season and I've only come to appreciate it more over the years. I remember two years ago, walking down Neil Avenue towards my apartment. That street is so beautiful in the fall. The colors on the trees start to change and the houses begin to look like they're more at home. While the season is a little sad; summer is dead and winter is about to begin, it's too lovely to even care.

This is our first autumn as a couple and since we're doing this long-distance thing, our weekends generally consist of finding fun things to do. In the fall, it's picking pumpkins and drinking cider. I wonder if in the winter, we'll find our own evergreen tree and drink hot chocolate. I wonder if we just want to soak up as much of our favorite season as possible or if it's something different.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home