Blogtastic

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Holy crap I'm posting like a mother today.

I just posted all three of my genre analyses (analysi?) after much editing. They weren't actually all written tonight so that makes me feel better about making a fourth post.

I am at Buckeye Donuts right now, which means I'm using high forms of technology (posting on a laptop via wireless, my roommate's). I have to admit it's not bad. I like to get out of the apartment to do my reading. I also have an essay for creative non-fiction and a rough draft memo for professional writing due tomorrow. Did I miss something? Is it midterms?

So, the point is I needed a computer and I needed to be out of the house. I also needed coffee. This is a fine alternative to the library.

Speaking of technology, I checked a digital camera out from the DMP over the past weekend...

I liked having it for about a day. It works like a 35 mm: point and click. However, as most people know, there is immediate access to the picture. If it sucks you don't have to keep it. You can look at your moment instantly. You can take as many damn shots as you want because you're not "wasting" film. What I don't like about digital cameras? I'm afraid I'm going to start living my life through the lens of a camera instead of through my own eyes. I just want to remember some moments, not capture them on film so I can post them in a blog.

I took the camera with me on Saturday. My (boy)friend and I went on an excursion to Lynd Fruit Farm in Pataskala for some autumn extravaganza, involving pumpkin butter, pumpkin picking, apple cider, corn mazes, etc. That place is like a freaking autumn amusement park. Crazy!

Afterwards we hit up Greenlawn cemetery and Greenlawn Abbey. I didn't take any pictures at the cemetery, which is MASSIVE and depressing. We didn't get out of the car, actually, because we didn't know where to start and we weren't sure that we wanted to. Besides, I was in search of the abbey, which was actually hidden behind a bunch of construction equipment.

The reason I wanted to go the Abbey is because, after doing some online research, it seemed it is one the "most" haunted spots in Columbus. I listened to several eves and yes, they were totally creepy. It is rumored to be haunted by Thurston Moore, a magician, and some other random spirits. It's just...big and creepy and teeming with tension.

Unfortunately there was going to be no experience because it is locked up.

I've always (well, since childhood/adolescence) been interested in ghosts and whatnot. My relationship with the boy has only deepened this. We both grew up in the same small town, as friends, and have driven many a time through the haunted forests of Rogue's Hollow. We played with Ouija boards in cemeteries. That's what we did.

He went to OU (actually I did too, but that was only for a quarter and he attended CCAD for two years, so essentially we switched places). Of course, Athens is full of history and craziness. On my last visit there before he graduated we broke into the abandoned children's asylum at The Ridges. Definitely the creepiest place I've ever been. It was full of peeling paint and dust. The hallways were dark and the rooms were too small for anyone to live in happily. When we went to the "hidden" basement I stayed at the top of the stairs. I couldn't see the person standing right in front of me and I swear I heard something right behind me, in my ear.

It totally freaked me out, but it gave me such a rush.

So I've been on a small mission of sorts, to find something like that here. In this paved and new place. Don't get me wrong, Columbus is old, but there's constant rebuilding---just look at that horrible eyesore on South Campus.

Alright. I've had way too much caffeine.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:54 AM, Blogger Lewis said…

    I sometimes worry about "living my life through the lens of a camera instead of through my own eyes," but the camera reminds me that my eyes are lenses too, literally and figuratively. Here's an example. Before I looked at the picture, I didn't know that grasshoppers had those spikes on their undersides! My eyes couldn't resolve that detail, even with my glasses. And that's another twist. Without my glasses, another optical technology, I couldn't see much of the world. I guess the "seeing" I am most concerned with takes place in my brain; I am less worried about the technologies that help me see physically, though I am always mindful of them.

     
  • At 4:12 PM, Blogger Lewis said…

    Ooops! I should have checked that link. Here 'tis.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home