Blogtastic

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Blog Review Essay, Part II

Gentle readers, the second portion of my blog review essay will focus on voice. As a writer (or at least someone who is attempting), I hear a lot about voice. Differing from the physical noises that emanate from one’s mouth, this voice focuses on a writer’s ability to emote his/her point. A blogger can use this through tone, emoticons, images, visual design, and to put it simply, the way in which they present their content.

Pink is the New Blog is an excellent example of good use of voice. The tone is clever, genuine or sarcastic when it needs to be. He uses images to back up his points. Blended with his visual design, the whole presentation is quite effective. For example, lately there has been some speculation over the relationship of Evangeline Lilly and Dominic Monaghan. In his Tuesday, November First posting he provides a picture of the two canoodling on a boat including the caption: “Evangeline Lilly and Dominic Monaghan still contend that they are just friends…even tho there are rumors that they are already engaged. Smoochin’ on the beach is a great way to keep your secret relationship a secret.” [Source]

Because this is the written word, it can be difficult to both express and fully understand tone. The audience cannot see the writer rolling his eyes while stating that “Smoochin’ on the beach is a great way to keep your secret relationship a secret.” However, coupled with the image and the obvious irony of the statement, the blogger effectively uses his voice.

Voice is also very important to Jackie Harvey’s “Harveywood!” Because it is satirical (see my first entry), the writer(s) needs to be sure that comes across in writing. Satire can be done in different ways, but The Onion prefers to use over-the-top humor to deliver the punchline. One look at the brief headline, “Bush To Nominate Next Person Who Walks Through Door,” and the audience should be made aware of that fact. In terms of the blog, exaggeration is used to show the satire. The writer(s) also tends to find a way to relate everything back to himself in a way that might show an audience that blogging is inherently self-centered. This is done well through exaggeration and humor. For example in one post he ties his review of My Name is Earl into the idea that he should have his own show. He states, “The show does make you think, though. I started thinking about all the people I might have done wrong. There's the time I stayed in my seat on the bus while a pregnant woman stood. That was straight out of Seinfeld. Maybe they should make a show about me. It would be an exaggerated version of me, but my life could be a great series.” [Source]

George Thomas’ blog does not focus on his voice—slightly goofy, a bit of cynicism and a hint of pomposity. I have to admit I chose his blog for two reasons: One, because I wanted an excuse to visit The Beacon Journal every day and Two, because I have a strange affection for him. I generally think his movie reviews are terrible, but amusing. I suppose I am a bit pretentious and cynical sometimes, but I take sick pleasure in enjoying his clumsy wit and occasional sarcasm. With this admission, I realize, I am emphasizing his voice. But with questions like, “Excuse me, but did someone suddenly discover an audience for this relic of the Reagan years when Americans were all awash with glee over our military might?” How could I not appreciate the man?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home