Blogtastic

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Gentle Readers,

For my third installment, I will continue to discuss my inner-nerd. I would like to revisit the relevance of community.

As I discussed previously, the Internet provides a haven for groups of people who are aligned with specific groups or people, namely couples. In my case, BuckinghamNicks.net and the now defunct listserv “BuckinghamsGirlz” (we were fourteen!) have greatly enhanced my fandom. Let me put it this way: Would you want to go to a Star Wars convention all alone? Would you want to mill around with a big group of…Storm Troopers and not really know or talk to any of them? Of course not.

Knowing that you are not the only one out there is a good enough feeling. Knowing that and knowing the other “ones” is even better. If it were not for BuckinghamNicks.net and its creator, Nancy, I would not have had a group of girls to pal around with in downtown Cincinnati, hoping for a Fleetwood Mac spotting. Nor would I know that the reason we were hanging around downtown was because during The Dance tour in 1997, Stevie serenaded Lindsey at the bar in The Cincinnattian Hotel. I also would not have had a bootlegged copy of a former show to listen to on the drive there and back.


*Thanks for the memories, Nancy!

The fact of the matter is, for all of my complaints about technology, the Internet, etc. in this blog there really are some good, albeit superficial points about it. When I was fourteen and watching Fleetwood Mac for the first time on PBS, I never would have expected to be as “into” them as I am today. I never would be without the likes of this computer.


*Happier Times; my favorite photo of Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home