Blogtastic

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Gentle readers,

In my last installment, I discussed the beginning of my fandom. I told you where the magic happened and how it has evolved over the years. I also began discussing how the Internet has given me a community, to nurture my fandom with others of like minds. Now I would like to look at another way in which the Internet has robbed me of my hard-earned money in trade for a night of pure bliss.

Technology also assists fans in the actual viewing of concerts. As I was strolling through my fine campus quad the other day I began thinking about concert-going. I wondered how things might be if the Internet had not been created (please refrain from any Al Gore jokes). Would people still camp out in front of venues to get the best seats…? And in a non-ironic way? (e.g. the girls who still camp out for Hanson). I know I would certainly sleep on the pavement for a solid three days to get a good seat at a Fleetwood Mac show. I think I might actually prefer it to the way I got my ticket for the August 2003 show in Cincinnati.

I went to the May 2003 show in Columbus, their first show in support of the album Say You Will. I was at the Ticketmaster website a good half an hour before the pre-sale began with my magic password in hand and I still only got row twenty on the floor. I decided I wanted no more of that and decided my next show would be through a broker. I saved all summer and when the time came I put down more money than I spend on rent for a third row seat.


*This would be my ticket. Don't let the sticker price fool you!

Readers, you must believe me when I say it was worth every penny. That may sound cliché, but that is regardless to the fact that I was within a foot of Lindsey Buckingham and his sweaty guitar.


*Need I say more?

Though it may be wrong, the experience would not have been possible without a broker or for that matter, crazy people like me who support them for the worthwhile cause of knowing what's best for two people who really should know it themselves.


*A picture that would be much better without the hand in front of Stevie's face

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home